City of Monroe Cancels Summer Job/Recreation Program
Mayor Jamie Mayo and the Monroe City Council announce, due to the ongoing mitigation
measures during the Coronavirus pandemic, the City of Monroe will not have a 2020 Youth
Summer Job Program or Youth Recreation Center Summer Program.
Mayor Mayo comments, “We are sad to announce there will not be a City of Monroe Youth
Summer Recreation Program or Summer Job Program this year. Out of an abundance of
caution, we know it is not feasible to effectively practice social distancing with limited space
and many participants. For this reason, we are cancelling the 2020 summer programs.”
ABOUT BOTH SUMMER PROGRAMS
With an attendance cost of just $6 per child, an average of more than 1200 children, between
the ages of 5 to 13, participate in the six-week Summer Recreation Program. The annual
program is held at our seven City community centers. The summer recreation program was
scheduled to run from June 1 until July 10. Our annual Youth Summer Job Program is one of
the largest in northeast Louisiana, usually employing between 150 to 200 high school to
college-age students during that same six-week time period. Most of whom would be working
at designated recreation centers.
Visit our City of Monroe COVID-19 Update Webpage www.monroela.us/coronavirus for
updates about city services and connections to valuable resources and information.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONAL RESOURCES:
- Business and faith leaders should register at OpenSafely.la.gov to receive guidance and updates from the State Fire Marshal’s office and the Louisiana Department of Health.
- For a guide of businesses that can be open at any given time, visit https://gov.louisiana.gov/canthis-business-open/
- Members of the public can continue to get information from the Governor’s office by visiting Coronavirus.la.gov and by texting LACOVID to 67283.
- Members of the public can continue to get information from the Department of Health by visiting ldh.la.gov/coronavirus
- People with general questions about COVID-19 in Louisiana can call 211.